Buying American is easy! Here are a few tips on how to buy American.
Tips & Tricks
- Look for the “Made in USA” or “Product of USA” label.
- Per FTC regulations: “For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be ‘all or virtually all’ made in the U.S. The term “United States,” … includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.” (FTC Website)
- “Product of USA” labels are typically reserved for something grown in the US (produce).
- Suspected noncompliance may be reported to the FTC: “contact the Division of Enforcement, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC 20580; (202) 326-2996 or send an e-mail to MUSA@ftc.gov.”
- Many retailers fail to stock Made in USA products. Thus, you may have to shop online.
- Add known “Made in USA” products to your regular shopping list.
- Contact your local retailer via the web or social media. Ask them to carry “Made in USA” labeled products.
- Be prepared to point them to specific Made in USA brands, if needed!
- E-mail food manufacturers. Ask them to label “Made in USA” when possible.
- Remember that limited claims such as “Assembled in USA” are better than no claim at all.
- Get a warm feeling every time you buy Made in USA products. You’re employing your friends, family members, and fellow citizens of the good ol’ U. S. of A.!
- Don’t worry that you can’t buy everything Made in USA. Every little bit helps!